Cinderford with Littledean

Cinderford Churches LogoThe Benefice of Cinderford with Littledean sits towards the East of the Forest of Dean and includes Cinderford, Littledean, Ruspidge and Soudley.

The benefice includes three parishes: St Ethelbert’s, St John’s, and St Stephen’s.

St John’s Parish includes St Michael’s, a Chapel of Ease in Soudley, and St Stephen’s Parish includes Bilson Mission Church.

The five churches within the benefice offer a variety of service styles according to a range of church traditions, but all are friendly and offer a warm welcome.

The Vicar of the Benefice is Mike Barnsley, who can be contacted on (01594) 822286 or via mike@cinderford-churches.org.uk

Benefice Website: www.cinderford-churches.org.uk

St Ethelbert’s

St Ethelbert’s Church, Littledean was built in the 14th century. It is located on the edge of the village opposite the school, at one of the gateways to the Forest of Dean, about a mile South of Cinderford.

Services

A service is held each Sunday morning:

  • 1st – 10.30 Morning Prayer
  • 2nd – 11.00 Holy Communion
  • 3rd – 10.30 Morning Service alternating between St Ethelbert and the URC in Littledean as a combined service within the ecumenical partnership
  • 4th – 11.00 All Age Worship
  • 5th – 11.00 Holy Communion, alternating between St Ethelbert and the URC in Littledean

St John’s

St John the Evangelist Church, Cinderford dates from 1844, when the centre of Cinderford was nearby. The current parish includes what is now the southern part of the town together with Ruspidge and the village of Soudley some 2 miles distant.

The worship is in the moderate catholic tradition and has a Eucharistic and sacramental focus, reflecting the Church’s seasons, using mainly traditional hymns and Common Worship liturgies. Well-ordered worship is prayerful and spiritual.

Services

St John’s Church holds a 9.30 am Parish Eucharist each Sunday.

St Stephen’s

The Parish of Cinderford, St Stephen’s was created in 1880 covering three-quarters of the town.

At St Stephen’s there is a broad base of worship incorporating music groups, organ and piano, using modern worship songs and traditional hymns. The music group usually plays for the 11.00am services. Other services are more traditional in form, using the organ or piano.

Services

  • 1st Sunday
    • 11.00am Holy Communion
    • 3.00pm Evensong (BCP)
  • 2nd Sunday
    • 8.30am Holy Communion (BCP)
    • 11.00am Morning Worship
  • 3rd Sunday
    • 11.00am Morning Worship including Baptism
    • 3.00pm Holy Communion (BCP)
  • 4th Sunday
    • 11.00am All Age Worship
  • 5th Sunday
    • 8.30am Holy Communion (BCP)
    • 11.00am Morning Worship

Bilson Mission

Bilson Mission is a tin church and was originally built in 1880 as a place of worship for local Gypsies. It was given to the parish and moved to its present site in 1900.

Services

Bilson Mission holds the following services each month:

  • 2nd Sunday – 3.00pm Family Service
  • 2nd Sunday – 3.00pm Evensong (BCP)
  • 4th Sunday – 3.00pm Holy Communion (BCP)

For more information, please visit our benefice website: www.cinderford-churches.org.uk